Friday, November 30, 2012

Masterchef Pinoy Edition: Celebrating Filipino Food And The PinoyPalette

I started following Masterchef Pinoy Edition some two weeks ago and today, they just completed their roster of top 16 Pinoy home cooks.  The Junior Edition got me hooked so I really have high expectations for this one.  Being a foodie and trying hard home cook, I am interested to see how we fair compared to the likes of Whitney, Jennifer and Christine of Masterchef US and Julie, Adam, Kate and Andy of the Australian edition.

Masterchef Pinoy Edition


The Junior Edition had its finale showdown early this year and I must say, I was really impressed with how good the young chefs were.  I was also happy with how ABS-CBN made the show really close to home.  I think this is what they are trying to achieve with the grown ups, only in full throttle.

During the audition, we see people from all walks of life.  Some obviously have a taste for the finer things in life.  Some have lived simple lives but are filled with interesting stories about  food.  I was really hoping to see the usual French, Italian and Asian dishes that are often served in Masterchef US and Australia.  So seeing my usual comfort food: Sinigang, Lugaw and Kare-kare surprised me a lot.  Then I realised, Masterchef Pinoy Edition is a celebration of Filipino food and the Pinoy palette.  Most Pinoys do not eat risotto but most Pinoys (if not all) have tasted lugaw.  Only a few of us can appreciate ceviche but we are accustomed to eating Kinilaw.

At first I was worried that if they decide to include a soufflé challenge a lot of those who got through the top 16 would not keep up.  But I guess the show is trying to portray food as a great equalizer.  You do not have to be at the upper echelons of our society in order to experience or even make good food.  It would not be realistic to have a soufflé or a creme brûlée challenge.  A leche flan challenge would make more sense.

pinoy-master-chef

Masterchef Pinoy Edition is also dubbed as a Kusinaserye (there goes our penchant for drama) so don't be shocked to see sob stories here and there.  I think they are trying to show that for every amazing home cook, there is an interesting story behind their love and passion for food.  Just like the story of a single mom who used food to cope with the breakdown of her marriage.  I am just a little concerned that the competition will become a charity event and the one with the best story wins the title.

At the end of the day, it should be all about the food.  And it should elevate Filipino Cuisine and make it know internationally.  I am really excited to see how this show will progress.

1 comment:

  1. [...] Masterchef Pinoy Edition: Celebrating Filipino Food And The Pinoy Palette (preludetoamidlifecrisis.wordpress.com) [...]

    ReplyDelete

I respect what you are going to say. But please, refrain from name calling and other bad words. Peace!